Pages

Friday, April 4, 2014

New Day

     It is April 4th 2014, and the temperatures have been for the most part above freezing for the last week.  It's still early in the day and I just enjoyed another beautiful sunrise...peaches and cream in a turquoise and gold bowl.  Tony is up getting ready for work.  I'm getting ready to go and feed the horses, and Nutmeg is snoring on the bed. 
     My cousin and I have been reminiscing about our Great Aunt Gladys for the past couple days.  She was an amazing, and strong woman who would have been 118 this year.  She played tiddly winks with us kids, and let us play outside in the rain.  I'm planning on making her favorite meal to celebrate her on her birthday, May 1st...ham, mashed potatoes, creamed onions, green beans, sweet pickles and her famous one hour rolls, finished off with home made chocolate cake with butter cream icing.  I enjoy honoring people's memory with their favorite foods.
     In memory of my Great Aunt Gladys May Kenyon I'm going to share my recipe for Creamed onions.

Creamed Onions
In a heavy duty sauce pan or double boiler melt over low heat
5 Tbsp butter

Stir in;
5 Tbsp flour
pinch of salt
pinch of black pepper

Let this mixture bubble gently for about 1 minute (this gets rid of the raw flour flavor)

Remove from heat and slowly whisk 2 cups of milk into the butter mixture
 Put back on low heat and stir frequently as it comes back up to heat.
Stir constantly while it bubbles until thick...about 1-3 minutes.  remove again from heat and add two jars Aunt Nellie's peal onions (drained).  warm once again gently and serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment